The historical center of Gdansk, where the main attractions are concentrated, is called the Main City, and everything that is located north of Pivnaya Street is called Old Town. The architectural appearance of the latter was formed in the 13-17 centuries, when Gdansk was called Danzig, belonged to the Teutonic Order, and then became a free trading city. Most buildings were destroyed by World War II bombs, but after they were rebuilt by Polish restorers. True, the reconstruction of the Church of the Virgin Mary, the largest brick church in Europe, is still not completed. Continue reading
Malbork – the Polish name, in German it sounds like Marienburg – was founded in 1276 as the castle of the Teutonic Knight’s Order. The castle, an area of about 20 hectares, is the largest Gothic castle in Europe. Today, it is not only of interest to lovers of history and castle architecture, but also simply amazes with its beauty even the most tourists who are immune to the beauty. Continue reading
The crane (that is, the “crane”) above Motlava, undoubtedly, “makes” a view of Gdansk from the river. His appearance is extremely characteristic and recognizable. Not a single photograph of the river panorama could do without his slightly strange profile, reminiscent of either a figure from Tetris that got up “on the ass”, or a birdhouse for a heron.
The crane was built in the Middle Ages just as a crane. Life in the old port of Gdansk then was in full swing, and the cargo turnover was serious. Continue reading