Wroclaw Cathedral (Poland) – description, history, location. Exact address and website. Reviews of tourists, photos and videos.
The Cathedral in Wroclaw is consecrated in honor of John the Baptist. This is a very beautiful and majestic Gothic building with neo-Gothic elements, which stands in the vicinity of the city of Tumsky Island (Cathedral Island). The current church is the fourth of those that were built on this site.
The first church was built in the 10th century, it had one nave 25 meters long. After the conquest of Silesia, this Bohemian church was replaced by a larger building, a basilica with three naves, a crypt and towers in the east. Soon, the first cathedral was destroyed, and an even larger Romanesque church was built in its place – this happened under Casimir I. At the end of the Mongol invasion, this church was again seriously rebuilt and turned into the same brick Gothic building that we see today. It became the first brick building in the city. Construction began in 1244, although the nave and the foundations of the current spiers in the west were completed before 1341.
According to legend, when the Russians bombed Wroclaw and the cathedral caught fire, flames magically stopped in front of the fallen statue of the Virgin Mary with the baby, without harming her or the three chapels behind.
In 1540, a fire destroyed the roof of the cathedral, and it was rebuilt 16 years later in the Renaissance style. Another fire occurred in 1759: towers, a roof and several other fragments of the structure burned down in it. Slow restoration continued over the next 150 years. In the 19th century, the western part and the interior of the cathedral were converted into neo-Gothic. But the cathedral was almost completely destroyed in the last days of World War II (according to some estimates, 70% of the building was destroyed). Parts of the interior that were saved were placed at the National Museum in Warsaw. The first stage of reconstruction lasted until 1951, when the church was again consecrated. In subsequent years, the restoration continued, and the original conical shape of the towers was returned only in 1991.
The modern view of the cathedral is a three-nave basilica with three entrances: the main one in the west and the other two in the north and south. Behind the choirs are the three main chapels: the chapel of St. Elizabeth, built in 1682-1700. with a statue of the holy work of Ecolé Ferrat, Bernini’s pupil, and the tomb of the cardinal by Domenico Guidi, another Bernini’s pupil. The Gothic Mariana Chapel, right behind the choir, was created in 1354–1365 and the tomb of Bishop Peter Fischer Sr. is also located here. It contains a miraculous statue of the Virgin Mary with a baby, created by Karl Johann Steinhauser in 1854, which is associated with an amazing legend. According to her, when the Russians bombed Wroclaw and the cathedral caught fire, flames magically stopped in front of the fallen statue, without harming either her or the three chapels behind. Finally, the third chapel, the northern one, is made in the Baroque style and consecrated in honor of the Body of Christ. It was built in 1716-1724. the Venetian architect Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach is also like the episcopal mausoleum.