Cathedral of St. Mary Magdalene in Wroclaw
The Cathedral of St. Mary Magdalene (Katedra sw. Marii Magdaleny) is a Gothic church located near the central market square of the city. It was built in the 13th century, although the first church in its present place appeared already at the end of the 11th century. During the Mongol invasion, the church was destroyed, and the next one was destroyed by fire in the mid-14th century. After that, a new large church was built in its place in a severe Gothic style, placing more than impressive bells on the towers. The towers were completed in 1488, and several side chapels were added in the 15th and 16th centuries. In 1525, it became Protestant and remained so until the end of World War II, after which it was made a non-cathedral Catholic Cathedral.
In 1887, during the celebrations in honor of Emperor William I, one of the crackers set fire to the church tower, but before the end of the century the tower was restored. But in 1945 the cathedral did not get off so easily: the walls remained almost intact, but the roof and towers were seriously damaged. Restoration work was completed only in 1972.
One of the most precious and remarkable parts of the cathedral is the Romanesque portal, which dates from the 12th century. This portal was moved here in 1546 from the Church of St. Mary and Vincent of the Benedictine Monastery in Albina.
One of the most precious and remarkable parts of the cathedral is the Romanesque portal, which dates from the 12th century. This portal was moved here in 1546 from the Church of St. Mary and Vincent of the Benedictine Monastery in Albina after its closure. The monastery was closed because the city authorities suspected that the Turkish army could use it as a stronghold in order to attack the city. During the movement of the portal and in subsequent centuries, a significant part of its jewelry was lost – for example, two stone lions. Nevertheless, you can still see a variety of relief motifs here: roses, griffins, scenes from the childhood of Jesus Christ.
Interior of the Cathedral of St. Mary Magdalene
Once the amazing interior of the church was partially destroyed in 1945, and partially moved to the National Museum in Warsaw. In 1945, the legendary bell of sinners, which at a height of 2 m was the largest in Silesia, was also destroyed. One way or another, the Cathedral of St. Magdalene still remains an impressive Gothic church, and it is very worth seeing from the inside.
Looking around the wonderful medieval portal of the church, try to find among the reliefs of the seahorse: it is here.
The narrow bridge that connects the two Gothic towers of the cathedral is called the “Enchant Bridge”, that is, the “Witches Bridge”. According to legend, on the bridge you can see the shadows of the souls of girls who seduced men without the intention to marry them, because they did not want to do homework. In retaliation, the shadows are holding mops in their hands.