Warsaw is the capital of Poland and the largest city in Europe. Having survived many shocks and conquests, she carefully preserved to this day the most valuable of her every era. People come to Warsaw to wander along the streets of the Old Town and the picturesque embankment of the Vistula, take a stroll through the immense Lazenkovsky park and see the Church of the Holy Cross, where Chopin’s heart rests. Despite the fact that the city was almost completely destroyed during the Second World War, the appearance and atmosphere of antiquity were reliably recreated in its historical quarters. Continue reading
Neptune, which stands in front of the Court of Artus on Town Hall Square, is considered the immutable ruler of Gdansk and its personification. The well in this place has been located since the middle of the 16th century, but in contrast to the Court of Artus, magnificent and ceremonial, it looked unsightly. The decision to put an exquisite fountain here was made at the beginning of the century, the burgomaster Schachmann became the customer, who wanted to see something like a fountain in Bologna on the main city square. The author of the project was Abraham van der Bloket, who turned the facade of the Artus Court opposite. Continue reading
The historical center of Gdansk, where the main attractions are concentrated, is called the Main City, and everything that is located north of Pivnaya Street is called Old Town. The architectural appearance of the latter was formed in the 13-17 centuries, when Gdansk was called Danzig, belonged to the Teutonic Order, and then became a free trading city. Most buildings were destroyed by World War II bombs, but after they were rebuilt by Polish restorers. True, the reconstruction of the Church of the Virgin Mary, the largest brick church in Europe, is still not completed. Continue reading
The Cathedral of St. Mary Magdalene (Katedra sw. Marii Magdaleny) is a Gothic church located near the central market square of the city. It was built in the 13th century, although the first church in its present place appeared already at the end of the 11th century. During the Mongol invasion, the church was destroyed, and the next one was destroyed by fire in the mid-14th century. After that, a new large church was built in its place in a severe Gothic style, placing more than impressive bells on the towers. The towers were completed in 1488, and several side chapels were added in the 15th and 16th centuries. In 1525, it became Protestant and remained so until the end of World War II, after which it was made a non-cathedral Catholic Cathedral. Continue reading
The lovely and peaceful Oliva area in Gdansk is worth a visit if you have an extra day or at least half an day. It is located in a wooded Troymeysky park with a beautiful landscape design. Here is the conservatory of the Botanical Garden, a branch of the National Museum and, of course, the beautiful and famous Olivsky Cathedral, famous for its organ.
The smallest pipes – only 10 centimeters, the largest – 10 meters or more. And in conjunction with two more instruments in the cathedral, there are 7876 organ pipes! Continue reading